Bells St Michael’s Church, Pleasley
The smallest (treble) bell bears the mark of the Sellioke family of Nottingham and is listed by the Council for the Care of Churches as being worthy of preservation. Bells two and three are dated 1618 and 1671 respectively. All of these have had their crowns removed at some time and were hung in shaped wooden head stocks.
The fourth and fifth, or Tenor, bells are by Taylors of Loughborough. They are dated 1879 and are fitted in hollow cast iron head stocks.
The bells were fitted on an oak frame, the earlier three in 1893 and the later two added in 1897. This work was carried out by Taylors of Loughborough. In 1962 Taylors also refurbished the bells; all frictional parts being removed and replaced.
During a more recent overhaul, by Pendletons of Glapwell, it was found that the frame
had developed a considerable amount of movement. This has now been repaired by means
of galvanised steel supports and new bolts. At the same time the bells and bearings
have been refurbished and the smaller three bells re-
The work cost in the region of £15,000. We were not able to obtain any major grants. Virtually the whole of the cost was raised locally.
A small team of people ring for weddings and special occasions
Bell ringing practice takes place each Monday evening from 7:00 to 8:00 p m. New
ringers are always welcome. Please contact tower captain Mr Barry Clay (see Contacts
page) if you are interested in joining us -